Amionx's transformative, patented technology prevents lithium-ion batteries from being the source of a fire or explosion due to three primary causes: overcharge, internal short, or external heat. While most other techniques for improving safety with use of lithium-ion batteries are focused from the outside in, Amionx is focused on safety from the core of the battery outward and works even when other safety measures fail or are not activated.
where could it be applied?
Amionx SafeCore can be implemented across all lithium-ion batteries, and is applicable to other chemistries as well as solid state. The use of SafeCore requires no incremental capital cost and virtually no increase to the bill of materials for lithium-ion batteries. Lithium-ion batteries are widely used in consumer electronics (cell phones, tablets, laptops) automotive (EV) and marine, power packs (power tools) and energy storage (electric grid storage, commercial storage and home storage). Amionx SafeCore will open new use cases for lithium-ion batteries current limited by safety concerns. SafeCore will remove the design constraints faced today due to safety.
This transformative technology acts like a circuit breaker to prevent a lithium-ion battery from being the source of a fire or explosion which is typically due to three primary causes:
- Internal short
- External Heat
Existing techniques, while improving safety, do not eliminate lithium-ion batteries from being the source of fire or explosion. These existing techniques typically focus from the outside-in with the use of robust battery management systems, hardened shells, and fire retardant chemicals which add weight and expense. Amionx is focused on safety from the core of the battery outward and works even when other safety measure fail or are not activated.
The key attributes of Amionx SafeCore are:
- Activates by trigger of temperature, current or voltage thresholds
- Virtually no increase to the bill of materials for lithium-ion batteries
- No incremental capital cost
- Longer lifetime of battery
- Longer shelf life of battery
- Maintains attractive qualities of lithium-ion batteries such as energy density
- Opens or expands new market opportunities for greater use of lithium-ion batteries that are currently limited by safety concerns including electric vehicles or power storage applications
- Allows for design of smaller and lighter battery systems
- Applicable to other chemistries as well as solid state